Monday, March 28, 2011

Must Read Monday: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

via
Let's get this out of the way. If you haven't noticed, I'm a sucker for a cute romance story. Don't get me wrong, when it comes to books I don't discriminate. I love reading regardless and genre has little to no influence on me. If a book catches my eye because of a great summary or even a great cover (see previous Must Read Monday post for more on my scientific way of choosing books based on covers) I'm going to pick it up because I never know what little bit of knowledge will come from it.
With that said, I am also someone that tries to time my reading material to the what's going on in life. Case in point, I know Spring break is around the corner or here for some people and therefore I don't find it necessary to read something utterly morbid. In fact, I almost make sure that whatever books I pick out for vacay are fun and uplifting (yep books can make you smile). When I came across Anna and the French Kiss it looked very promising. After I read it I guarantee you that this book is one of those aforementioned smiley-books.
What It's About:
Anna Oliphant is just your average teenager living her happy little life in her normal little town and working at your average movie theater. As an average girl she ,of course, has the not so average crush on one of her coworkers. Just as things start looking up with said coworker her dad decides she needs to get some culture. How does he think she should get this culture? Well, by sending her to Paris to spend a year abroad of course. Now don't get me wrong, you'd have to be beyond insane to not want to go to Paris so you're probably thinking that Anna is beyond lucky right?
Sadly, that is not how Anna see's it. She see's it as the end of the world (Anna has a flair for the dramatic).
She ends up going to Paris and she starts high school with a bunch of different students including a very cute and very unavailable guy names Etienne St. Clair (love his name btw!). Since this guy is unavailable and she's still crushing on cute guy from home, Anna ends up becoming St. Clair's best friend and the story takes off from there.

Why You Should Read It:
This book isn't a life altering, mind boggling read. In fact it's actually a fairly simple teen love story. Don't let this simplicity fool you though because this book is beyond a fun read. I was literally laughing out loud as I read this book because the things that happen to Anna are hilarious without being completely outrageous. In fact, most of her problems and issues are very relatable. That's one of the things that I tend to dislike about some young adult books, the fact that they can take a situation and blow it completely out of proportion for dramatic effect. I firmly believe that the best stories out there are ones in which the reader can legitimately see themselves reacting in the same manor as the lead character in the book.
Overall, I think Anna and the French Kiss is a total must read for Spring Break. I seriously think you'll love the story because it's too fun and cute not to. Do you think you'll be picking this book up over break? Let me knwo what you think if you read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...