Monday, April 18, 2011

Must Read Monday: Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

The arrival of Coachella last week had me itching for the arrival of Summer. For me, concerts and roadtrips are the best way to spend Summer breaks. Since technically Summer is still a little whiles away I decided to channel my restlessness by finding a book that would get my mind off the subject. I found Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson and I decided to give it a shot. On a side note, I love that cover!

What It's About:
Well, it's no surprise that the book is about a roadtrip. Amy has just gone through something horrible. She lost her dad unexpectedly in a car accident. Her twin brother is in rehab and her mom had to take a job in Connecticut thus moving them from her home in California. Her mom leaves before her to get everything settled and once she's in the East coast she realizes that it would be too expensive for her to pay for both Amy's plane ticket and a service to bring their car. Thus the plan for the roadtrip begins. The only problem, Amy refuses to drive ever since her dad died. Enter Roger, a very cute old friend of the family who has to go visit his dad. The trip is only supposed to take a few days but, of course, Roger and Amy decide to take a detour. Amy wants to visit Yosemite, like she always did with her dad, before leaving and Roger wants to see why his girlfriend broke up with him. You might think that a small detour is not a big deal but the thing is that Amy's mom planned their route to make the trip as short as possible. By taking this detour Amy and Roger are going the opposite way and taking the longest possible route to Connecticut.

Why You Should Read It:
First of all, this book is not a boy meets girl and falls in love type of book. This book is about so much more than that. It is about the journey that people take to become the people they will ultimately become. This book is a journey of growth for both Roger and Amy. This journey helps both of them realize what they want from life and who and what actually matters to them.
The thing I enjoyed the most about this book is that Morgan Matson, the author, does such a great job of helping the reader feel like they are on the roadtrip with Amy and Roger. The book includes pictures of actual places that you would see on the route and a music playlist for each state. The attention to detail is amazing. The songs on the playlist are real songs! Personally, I really could see the reasons behind what the main characters do and feel. There isn't anything crazy about this book. No magic or paranormal events. This book is just about two people trying to find their way. That's what makes this book so great. It gives us a message that I think we all can relate to. Whether you are leaving high school for college or college for the "real world,"we all come to a point in our lives where everything inevitably changes. We lose and gain people in our lives. People that have helped to make us who we are. Instead of dwelling in the past and focusing on what we've lost, we need to celebrate and thank  these people by continuing to move forward and grow. 

I sincerely hope you enjoy this book as much as I did and my only warning is that you will have a need for a roadtrip after you're done reading it. I think I may plan one very soon. If you've gone on an epic roadtrip tell me about it in the comments I'd love to hear what you have to say! If you can't go on a roadtrip then listen to Amy and Roger's playlist. I swear no better roadtrip music playlist has ever been heard.





                           

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...