Monday, April 4, 2011

Must Read Monday: Matched by Ally Condie

 I was a little stumped this past week when I was trying to find a book to read. I, along with a few thousand others,  have been waiting for the next book in the Mortal Instruments series which comes out tomorrow (I plan on reviewing this along with the 2 other books in the series next week) so it was a little hard to pinpoint a book. It seems like a ton of great books came out last year but this last month the literary world seems to have paused, at least its what I thought. Since I couldn't decide I left it up to Amazon to pick for me. Seriously, the recommendations tool is ah-mazing. I browsed the recs and came across Matched by Ally Condie. According to Amazon I am supposed to like the book based on my love for the Hunger Games trilogy. I browsed the reviews from other readers and it seemed that the same amount of people loved the book and hated it. I figured I had nothing to lose and I downloaded on my Kindle and decided to choose what I thought about the book myself.

What Its About:
Matched is a dystopian book. It is set in a future where the government has control over absolutely everything people do. When teens come of age they attend a ceremony where they are matched with their ideal partner based on compatibility (think of a scary version of eharmony.com). Once they are given their partners they are to get to know each other and after some time they are to marry. This isn't a choice for anyone. People don't question their governemtn and they do as they are told.
The books' focus is on three characters: Cassia, her best friend Xander and Ky (the mystery boy).
Cassia thinks she is beyond lucky when at her matching ceremony she is paired with Xander, her best friend. She goes home thinking things couldn't get any better since she already knows him.
At the ceremony everyone is given information on their match so they can learn more about each other. When Cassia goes home she sets to view the info on Xander but instead of his image showing up, it's Ky's image that appears which totally confuses her. She's curious about this and, although she was never interested in Ky before, she starts hanging out with him and getting to know him. This is completely against the rules of her government.
After getting to know Ky she begins to question whether her government is really as all knowing and fair as everyone thinks they are. This whole "mistake" sets alot of different events in motion that will ultimately alter all of the protagonist's lives.

Why You Should Read It:
Matched, in my opinion, is a pretty good book. I have to admit that there are very obvious similarities between this series and The Hunger Games. To be perfectly honest, this is probably the reason that I ended up liking the book.
I think the premise of the book is interesting enough to not let the similarities to HG deter you from reading it (some reviewers have dubbed it a Hunger Games ripoff).It is definitely an interesting read. Unlike The Hunger Games, there isn't alot of violence in the book (although the story does have an opening for it in the future). The question it poses is definitely cause to read the story and give it a shot don't you think? This question is what would happen if we were forced to live our lives not as we want to but as the government thinks we should?
I am definitely interested in seeing how this story plays out because this first book definitely leaves you wondering if what Cassia feels is real or if she feels what she feels because that's what the government predicted and planned for her. Pick up the book and let me know what you think about it. Should I bother reading the 2nd one?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am even more intrigued with this company after reading this blog. Interesting, I wouldn't expect something like this here. Love it though, and I am interested in this book now. I am not a fashionable young woman, but came across your new location in OKC Monday night... just have to say how thankful I am to finally know of a place that fits smaller frames without the SKANK factor. I have a beautiful new work wardrobe (or at least one in the making), and it is ALL thanks to Windsor! Brilliant style, and now you also have me hooked on the blog! Keep it up, thanks. -Emery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! Thank you Emery! We love our customers and we know that they are well rounded girls with an interest in a variety of topics that range from fashion to literature. So happy you found clothing for work too because I know how hard it can be to look professional without looking stuffy.
    As for the book it is definitely an interesting read that gets you thinking. If you pick it up let us know how you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...