Monday, April 11, 2011

Must Read Monday: The Mortal Instruments Books 2-4 by Cassandra Clare


As promised, today I am reviewing the last 3 books of the Mortal Instruments Series. Since its 3 books please know that this is going to be a long post. I reviewed the first book, City of Bones, a few posts back. Just a reminder, I loved it! In fact, I loved it so much that I ended up getting both City of Ashes and City of Glass at the same time. Yep, I knew that I would like them before I read them. I held off on posting the reviews for these two books even though I finished reading both of them rather quickly because I wanted to wait until the 4th book came out so you wouldn't have to wait to read and see what happens in the story for too long. I'll try my best to avoid any spoilers but if something accidentally slips I am really sorry!

What They're About:
We've already reviewed and summarized City of Bones so you already know that the story centers around Clary and Jace. In the first book Clary meets Jace, a shadowhunter, who pretty much fights all types of evil things along with Alec and Isabelle. Jace is cocky, vain and very full of himself; the quintessential bad boy. Part of you thinks he's a jerk until you see how much he cares for Clary. In the 2nd book alot of big secrets come out and when I say big I mean "bomb" big. I'll let you discover the secret for yourself. I loaned my little sister the 2nd book and let me just tell you that she pestered me to tell if the secret was true. I made her suffer by not telling her and I think that made the 3rd book in the series that much more enjoyable for her. I will say this, one of the main parts of the story is the type of shadowhunter that Clary is and how vast are her powers. Simon plays a big part in the rest of the series as well.
The third book in the series, City of Glass, finally solves Clary's problem with waking up her mom and alot of things are revealed. While the 2nd book in the series opened Clary's eyes to alot of the secrets of her life the 3rd book actually explains them. In the 3rd book you realize how crazy Valentine, Clary's dad, is but you also find out that at some point in his life he really did care for Clary's mom. Even later on in the book you realize that even in his Charlie Sheen type of craziness he still loves her mom. Don't be confused though, Valentine is bad to the core. City of Glass had alot more action than the previous two books and Cassandra Clare really does do a good job of writing these scenes. It also brings in a few more characters that help shed light into Clary's family and her life before she was misled to believe she was a mundane. These characters play a main role in the next and 4th book, City of Fallen Angels.

In the 3rd book Cassandra Clare kind of wrapped up some secrets and helped us understand what Valentine was doing with the Mortal Instruments and why. In the 4th book, Jace, Clary, and their friends are dealing with the aftermath of everything that happened to them. Along with also dealing with the mysterious murders of various beings that could incite a war. Alot happens in the 4th book and it definitely opens up a whole new set of problems and questions.
Simon is dealing with his change, and juggling to girls (one of which happens to be a werewolf). Clary is trying to get a grasp on her powers and Jace is being his usual annoyingly cocky yet loving self. The fourth book has alot of the characters dealing with their own personal problems as individuals. By this I mean that the issues that they are facing, while still within the supernatural, are issues that will help them grow as people. Unlike the first books where the characters dealt with a common problem, City of Fallen Angels deals with the characters as individuals and I must say that they grow alot.


Why You Should Read Them:
Ok, the main reason to read books 2 and 3 is to get the backstory of all the character's problems and to get to book 4. I have to tell you that is how I honestly feel. While books 1-3 were amazeballs, book 4 is just going to blow you away. I am having serious Twilight and Hunger Games flashbacks here. You know where you really are annoyed that all the books aren't out at once because the story is that good? I know this part of my review is not going to be eloquent but I have to be honest; this book will seriously have you go OH. MY. GOD. at the end. Part of me is actually pretty peeved at Cassandra because I can't believe she left us with such a cliffhanger! This series has 6 books total and the next book isn't scheduled to come out until 2012. The only truly awful thing in the series is that we have to wait another year before finding out what happens to Jace and Clary and their story. Seriously, pick this series up you won't regret it I promise!


p.s. It looks like the movie is officially on. So far they have only cast the role of Clary. This role went to Lily Collins.
 
There is still alot of debate going on about who is going to play Jace. It seems that the fans of the series are being very vocal about who they want playing this role. We're still pretty hopeful that it'll be Alex Pettyfer but Max Irons is growing on us.
If you've read the books who do you think would make a better Jace?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...