Monday, May 16, 2011

Must Read Monday: It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han

via

What can I say about this book series that can express how much I love it? Maybe I am letting my Summer eyes* dictate the way I see things but to be honest this series is just that good.
I'm going to go off on a tangent and explain why I always seem to love the books I review here. I will always try my best to review books that I loved. While I have come across some doozies that I would have preferred to live without, there is no point in my reviewing a book, and saying how bad it is and how much you shouldn't read it. Someone spent alot of their time and effort writing that book and who am I to downplay their work? Maybe it wasn't my cup of tea but it may be someone else's. If there's a book you want to read out there, don't wait for someone to tell you that you should, just do it. The point of Must Read Monday is to, hopefully, bring a book you may not be aware to your attention.
Now I am hoping that you took my advice and got all 3 books at the same time. If you didn't, well I'm sure you kicked yourself  in the bum enough for me to restrain myself and not tell you I told you so....

Silly! I told you so! (Sorry couldn't help myself, my inner 5 year old takes over sometimes and well, what can you do?)

Ok now on to the book....

What It's About:
It's Not Summer Without You by Jenny Han is the sequel to The Summer I Turned Pretty which I reviewed last week. As always, I'll do my best to not give away any spoilers but if I do I am really sorry. You probably already know that Susannah has cancer and she isn't doing well at all. In this book she relapses and Conrad does not deal well with it at all. Jeremiah ends up calling Belly and telling her that Conrad has gone missing and he needs her help finding him. In spite of the way things were left with her and Conrad, Belly agrees to help and so begins another Summer at Cousins beach with the two most important boys in her life.
This book is mainly about letting go and acceptance.

Why You Should Read It:
First, let me say that this book isn't a lighthearted read. Yes, this book is still about love but this book doesn't just talk about the boyfriend/girlfriend type of love, it talks about love and relationships in general. It's about the love of friends and family. It is also about heartbreaking loss.
While you may think that Belly agrees to help Jeremiah find Conrad because she loves him, she really does it because of the love she has for both the boys and Susannah. I don't mean love as in I love you, let's get married love. I'm talking about I love you because you have been my friend all of my life and I want you to be ok type of love. It is this love that I think makes this book relateable to everyone. While Summer love is pretty much a staple for some, the love of friends and family is a staple for everyone; whether they're aware of it or not.
The thing I loved most about this book was the fact that I really could understand where Belly was coming from. I really would hate to find myself in that situation between two boys she loves and doesn't want to hurt.

Next week I'll be reviewing the last book, We'll Always Have Summer. I can tell already that I'm going to be a big ball of tears. Jenny Han has a way of doing that to me. This only happens to me with the

Don't forget to comment and tell me your thoughts. I'd love to hear what you have to say.


*Summer eyes: a time of year when I start looking at the world through rose colored glasses where nothing bad can happen

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...