Monday, May 9, 2011

Must Read Monday: The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han




I wanted to wait to review this series until the last book came out. I am extremely impatient. I hate having to wait so long between  books, movies, and shows. Seriously, you should have seen me at the season finale of Pretty Little Liars. So I waited until this third book was out so that you  could go and get out all 3 books in the series. Trust me you'll want to.

What It's About:
The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han is the quintessential summer read. It tells the story of Isabel or Belly and the people that are a part of the life she has during the Summer. Every Summer she, along with her mom and brother head out to the beach to stay with her mom's best friend and her son's, Conrad and Jeremiah. As kids Belly just wanted to be included in the boy's things but as she starts to grow up her feelings start to change and she beings to realize that she has developed a crush on Conrad, the eldest of the boys.
This book is about "firsts" which I think is something we can all relate too. It talks about the first crush, the first kiss, the first heartbreak.
Aside from that, this book is just about life. It deals with love and loss and it does it in such a sweet way. It really is a feel good book, in spite of the heartbreak.

Why You Should Read It:
The question is why shouldn't you? This book is one of the books I think I will be pulling out every Summer. I know it's what alot of people consider "chick lit" but I don't care. I realized that as I was reading it I had a huge grin on my face. To me that speaks more than any review. It was a story that drew me in and really made me forget everything around me. That's what makes a book great in my opinion. Ii think the reason that this book brought a smile to my face is because I could remember the same feelings Belly had. I think we all remember our first crush and our first exceptional Summer.
Summer, above all seasons, is the time we experience the most personal growth. Yes physically we change but emotionally we become the people we will turn out to be. I really recommended you getting this book. If you've already read it, read it again for some good memories. Next week I'll be reviewing the second book so feel free to grab it and let me know your thoughts.
Have you read this book? Let me know what you think about it and if you liked it as much as I did?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...