Monday, July 25, 2011

Must Read Monday: Divergent by Veronica Roth

Via Amazon

You guys know that I am a sucker for a good dystopian story right? Well, when I was browsing for my next book this one came up. I bought it mostly because the cover reminded me of The Hunger Games. I am so glad I did because I think I just found my next trilogy.

What It's About:
Divergent by Veronica Roth is a story about Beatrice Prior or Tris. She lives in Chicago where society is divided into five factions based on a person's virtue. At the age of sixteen a person is placed into their society based on five virtues-Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), Erudite (the intelligent). The way that the decision is made is by having the person go through a test that helps them choose their new life. Beatrice surprises everyone because she and her family are Abnegation but she chooses Dauntless.
Once she goes into the Dauntless society you would think that her problems would be over, what with abandoning her family. Well her problems are only beginning because once she enters the Dauntless society she has to pass test after test before actually becoming a legit member of the society. Now if the physical tests weren't enough, Tris has to pass a test of heart once she meets Four.
Oh but the problems don't end there. Beatrice is considered Divergent and that is most definitely not a good thing to be since technically society considers these type of people a threat. So of course she has to keep this actual status secret.

Why You Should Read It:
If you liked the Hunger Games then I promise you that you will love Divergent. I wasn't kidding when I said I found a new trilogy to handle my Hunger Games withdrawals. This story is a little different from everything I've read because it focuses exclusively on feelings and how powerful these are. So powerful in fact that society has divided itself into the five most notorious ones. Can you imagine having to live your life based solely on the society you live in? Take for example Beatrice's family, they are abnegation so they have to live their life being absolutely selfless. From giving up your seat on the bus, to wearing drab clothing and always having to give of yourself this is what they do. I know what you're thinking, that actually doesn't sound so bad. At first I didn't think so either but when you have no choice then it doesn't sound so great. One of the greatest things about our society is the freedom to be who we are and most of us have a little bit of each of the 5 factions in the book. To have to be just one thing forever is just not realistic in my opinion hence the issues that come up for Beatrice. I sincerely enjoyed this book and I think you should pick it up and tell me what you think about it. Can you believe it's already been optioned for a movie?

Any books you think I should read next? Let me know in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...