Monday, October 3, 2011

Must Read Monday: Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

via Amazon


If you know me then you know that I am a creature of habit. I'm loyal to a fault so when I find something I like I tend to stick to it. This applies to authors as well. I absolutely fell in love with Anna and the French Kiss (Read my review here) so when I found out that Stephanie Perkins had another book coming out as a pseudo sequel to "Anna.." then I had to pre-order it right then and there.

What's It About:
Lola and the Boy Next Door is just as funny as Anna was. This book is quirky and fun but it does touch on the serious subjects. Lola was raised by her two fathers after her mom gave her up because of her drinking problems. Lola was raised to be herself and the way she dresses reflects that. She wants to grow up to be a designer, she has awesome dad's and her boyfriend is a singer in an awesome rockband. She has great friends, which include Anna and Etienne from the previous book (thank you Stephanie!!). Unfortunately for Lola her worst nightmare comes true when her old twin neighbors move back into town and next door. She has quite a history with them, particularly Cricket whom she "used" to love.

Why You Should Read It:
First, Anna and Etienne make an appearance! Ok that's not the main reason but it is definitely a bonus. Lola and the Boy Next Door can stand on its own without the help of Anna. Lola is a girl after my own heart. She is quirky, klutzy, kinda blind, and funny. She is not afraid to be who she is even if everyone else thinks she's a little crazy. She hasn't had the easiest life but she doesn't let that get her down. She literally loves life.
Throughout the whole book you know something happened between her and Cricket and although she has a boyfriend you can't help but root for them to end up together. They are just made for each other. Lola grows up alot throughout the book but she does it without losing herself. I think that is my favorite part of the book. I think that as we grow up we lose alot of who we used to be. The fearlessness and willingness to try to be different takes a backseat to acting "mature." Lola loves her parents and she loves having their approval but she knows that their approval shouldn't come at the cost of what she wants in life. In the end Lola learns alot of great lessons and all I can say is that I can't wait to read the next book in this series. Stephanie Perkins you've done it again!

What book should I read next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...