Monday, December 12, 2011

Must Read Monday: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Amazon: $10.99

You guys know I'm a sucker for a good dystopian story right? Well I think I found my new series! I had heard about this book coming out and that it was a great book for those of us that loved the Hunger Games. At first I was like yeah right puh-lease. Every new series is the new Hunger Games. As you can tell I was actually thinking that this book wouldn't live up to the hype and that I would be disappointed because it wasn't the Hunger Games and yet it was being marketed to those readers. Man oh man was I wrong because I loved this book!

What It's About:
As I already mentioned this book is a dystopian story that is based around Juliette. Here is the summary that was listed on Goodreads:
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. 
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. 
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now. 

Why You Should Read It:
I know you guys are probably sick and tired of me saying "because it's so good!" but it is! More than anything I love that this series is a little different than anything I've read lately. Yes, I know I just read a book last week about a guy whose touch kills but this book is different, I promise. Whereas Touch is about a guy whose touch kills, the book is set in present day and the whole premise is that the sixes are people who were born with this ability and then capture for exploitation. In Shatter Me, Juliette is unique and no one has any idea why she is the way she is. The book is beautifully written and it almost reads like poetry. I absolutely love Adam and everything he has done to be with Juliette. I think the part that I loved the most about this book is that it broke my heart in a good way. Authors have a magnificent way of letting words make us feel and Tahereh is not an exception. I highly recommend this book if only for how beautifully she expressed Juliette's grief and fear and hope.

Let me know if you pick this book up. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...