Monday, April 30, 2012

Must Read Monday: The Selection by Kiera Cass

Via Amazon: $9.99

Let me perfectly honest here....The main reason I picked this book up is because of that cover. I mean just look at it! That dress holy smokes!! Do you think that the dress would make a good homecoming/prom dress because I am so tempted to bug our fabulous buyers about bringing in something like that for our customers lol.
Did I read what the story was about on the back cover? No. Did I know it was coming out? Nope. Have I ever read anything by this author to make me purchase this book blindly? Nope again. I am proud to admit that I am a sucker for a pretty dress and that cover is beautiful. Now with that said I was very pleasantly surprised with the book, especially after I found out what the heck it was about lol and guess what?! They're actually making this book into the show on the CW! 


What It's About:
Even when I don't know what the heck a book is about I end up reading a Dystopian story. Go figure. Here is the blurb from Amazon:


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Why You Should Read It:
It's actually a pretty cool story. One of the blurbs from reviewers put it perfectly when they said it's The Bachelor and The Hunger Games combined minus the bloodshed. I love stories like this that feel like a glimpse into the future. I mean who knows where reality tv is going to draw the line. I mean people are living their lives on TV nowadays so even as far fetched as the story can seem it doesn't seem impossible does it. I loved the love triangle in this story because so far both guys are fairly likeable. I will be perfectly honest and tell you from the get go that I am rooting for Prince Maxon here. The only qualm I had with the book is the ending! Ah! I hate and I love and I hate cliffhanger endings! Why don't you pick the book up and tell me who you are rooting for when you're done. I'd love to hear what you have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...