Monday, April 9, 2012

Must Read Monday: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Via Amazon: $2.99

Wow it has been a while since I did a review on a book. Mind you I've still been reading a ton but nothing that really stood out. I mean like I've always told you, I don't review books I don't like I review the ones that I think are great and you should read. While there were some ok books they were all kinda meh you know? Then I picked up this book. Oh my gosh I haven't liked a book this much since Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire and that is saying something since I've just about recommended that book to anyone that can read. This book ugh what can I say about this book. Colleen Hoover is amazing!



I'll do my normal synopsis but I should really just stop and say go read it because it's SO good I promise!

What It's About:

The male lead is into slam poetry and it is a central "character" in this book. I say this because, while you obviously are reading this book from Layken's point of view, alot of the story comes from the emotions from the different character's poetry. For those of you that may not know what slam poetry is here is a link that may explain it better than I can but the gist of it is that there really aren't rules to it. It's not like a normal poem where you have to rhyme or have a certain amount of syllables. Poetry is emotion and slam poetry is emotion on steroids times a million. It's performance poetry. People perform this type of poetry with all that they have and the best description comes from a quote in the book by Allan Wolf  "The point is not the point; the point is poetry."

Layken aka "Lake" moves with her mom and little brother to Ypsilanti from Texas. When she gets there she meets her neighbor Will and his little brother Caulder. It turns out that he is in a situation much like Lake's when it comes to the parent thing. Of course, Lake and Will hit it off but unfortunately something happens after their first date that totally tears them apart. I know it seems way out there that after a first date these two are already trying to have a relationship but the author did a fantastic job of setting this up so that it's not fantastical. If you want to read more of the summary head on over to the Amazon page and take a look because I am SO not doing this story justice.


Why You Should Read It:
Seriously, I don't even know what to say to convince you to read this book. If I could send everyone who reads these posts my Kindle copy I would but since I can't I'll settle for telling you to go get it. I mean the book comes from a self-published author and fortunately and unfortunately these type of author's books are usually a steal. I mean it's hard to beat $3 right?? I say unfortunately only because I think the author deserves way more than $3 for this book. It's that amazing. I found myself laughing out loud at Eddie's driving mishaps and Caulder and Kel's innocent curiosity. This book is from Layken's point of view but you really do feel like you get a taste of how each character is feeling, the emotions are that strong. I also found myself literally bawling at the end of it and not in a bad way if that makes any sense. All I can say is that a letter is involved and I'll leave it at that. I really hope that you read this book because it will stay with you. I can promise you that much. If you do read it come back and tell me what you think. In the meantime I am on my way to read the sequel because it's a two parter!!



2 comments:

  1. Going to pick it up but if you want a good book pick up fifty shades of grey warning it has a bdsm theme but it not what the book is mainly about the love story is really beautiful along with beautiful diaster its one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks for the write-up, I love it. And thank you for recc'g my book. It's really hard for Indie's to get the word out without agents and publishers, so readers are our only avenue. Thank you for your support!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...