Friday, January 3, 2014

Fab Fit Friday: Whole Weat Avocado Brownies from Taralynn!

image
I was on the hunt for chocolate this afternoon! I will be posting a lot of healthier recipes coming up. Over the holiday break, I found myself diving into all the unhealthy foods (Pie, fudge, peanut brittle, frosted cookies, truffles etc.) and now it's time to get back on track with clean eating.
image
Creating healthier versions to my favorite foods helps me stay on track. It's like having your cake and eating it too. It's super fun to get creative in the kitchen, too! 
image
Today, I chose to make healthy brownies! I took one of my mom's recipes and transformed all the ingredients. I substituted the butter with yogurt and avocado; I took out the salt, replaced the sugar with Stevia and agave, added extra unsweetened cocoa powder instead of chocolate bark, and used whole wheat flour instead of white. 
The brownies turned out awesome! They didn't taste light, either. They were super rich, chocolaty, and fudge-y. I told Jeremy to try one before I told him what it was made of and he LOVED them! He was excited to find out they were healthy. 
image
Ingredients:
* 1 Medium Avocado, 3 Medium Eggs, 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour, 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, 1/3 Cup Hot Water, 1 Tbsp Vanilla Bean Paste or Vanilla Extract, 6 OZ Vanilla Yogurt, 5 Packets Stevia, 3 Tbsp Dark Chocolate Chips, 3 Tbsp Honey or Agave. 
image
Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees
Add the egg, avocado, and yogurt to a mixing bowl and mix on high until combined. 
image
Mix in the vanilla and Stevia. 
image
Add the water to the cocoa powder and mix. The consistency should be like icing. If it's too thick, add water by the tbsp. 
image
Mix the chocolate into the yogurt, eggs, and avocados. 
image
Mix well. If you do not have an electric mixer, you can use a food processor or a blender. 
image
Add the flour to the mixing bowl.
image
Combine! 

image
Adding the agave is 100% optional. You could also use honey. I like things to be sweet, so I added about three tablespoons to the batter. 
image
Grease a baking dish and add batter to it. Spread the batter out evenly. 
image
I used a 5 in X 10 in pan. You can use a larger one and make the brownies thicker if you'd like. 
image
Topping the brownies with dark chocolate chips is a definite must! It reminds me of the fudge brownies that get frosted with more fudge. 
image
Sprinkle the dark chocolate chips on top. 
image
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes! 
image
Use the toothpick method to check if they are done! They should be nice and firm. 
image
Let them cool for about 10 minutes before cutting into them. 
image
Serving Size: 4 brownie bites: 
For 4 brownie bites: 106 Calories, 16 g Carbs, 5 g Fat, 4 g Protein, 4 g Fiber, 5 g Sugar

Nutrition for 1 brownie bite: 27 Calories, 4 g Carbs, 1 g Fat, 1 g Protein, 1 g Fiber, 1 g Sugar. 
image                   

Don't forget to follow Taralynn on TumblrFacebookInstagram and Twitter for more awesomeness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...